Many companies and organizations in American have risen to meet the employment needs of our veterans.
AVT supports these national and local initiatives. However, the prevalence of PTS among our veterans can sometimes create significant problems in the workplace.
These issues are usually based on behaviors like dissociation, hyper-vigilance, re-enactments and other trauma responses to normal situations that are usually considered a normal workplace occurrence.
A sensation, a smell, a visual stimulus, a word or sentence and sometimes the most benign perception can trigger a trauma-impacted person to react in very unpredictable ways.
We believe that employers, supervisors and staff need information, understanding and tools equipped to help veterans transition into the workplace.
With our educational partner, Lakeside Educational Network, AVT will stream training sessions to our employer partners. We know that our veterans have the skills, resilience and strengths as great employees but often need some support in the process.
They can get that support for themselves at @EASE. But also employers in our network can also have greater understanding and tools to help our veterans succeed in the workplace.
Our sessions will include:
- The benefits of hiring veterans, complemented by trauma informed employment practices
- Brain basics
- The brain on trauma
- The impact of unresolved trauma
- What to do when an employee is trauma-triggered
- Belief systems of traumatized people
- The trauma vortex
- What can promote healing for trauma
- Developing fair and reasonable expectations for traumatized employees
- How to design a trauma-informed interview
- Tools for partnering with veterans
- How to provide targeted support for veterans
- How to support staff who are working with veterans